Friday 6 October 2017

book organisation


Books are one of my big loves in life! I studied English at college and university and while my children have been young I've tutored high school students on and off. I just love being able to share that love of words and stories with people and see them develop. Of course that includes my children too!


If you've read any of my posts before you'll know I just love organising by colour, but sometimes even I have to admit there's a better way, so with my kids' books I organise by series (and then by colour usually!).


Some of these books I've had since I was a child and my mum has passed them down to my own children. I really like the juxtaposition of the new spines with the broken and well loved ones. 



This whole shelf area is in our living room and multi tasks as a place for chargers, photo albums, board games, and children's keepsake boxes. I've added some other bits of colour but it really is a useful and well used area. These few books on the picture above in the left corner is the kids' "to be read" pile. I like to keep them accessible for reading time or when they're choosing a new night time book. 



I've slid this light board to one side to see some of our extras, these boxes are keepsakes labelled by holidays we've had. 




I have to say, chatbooks have been amazing for me. Once upon a time I was an avid scrapbooker, but years went by and I never found the time. This app just prints me a book a month from my Instagram photos. It's so perfect. They do have a promotion where you can get your first book free, which is how I got hooked! If you click here you can set up an account. 


My books are all organised by colour, of course. But to be honest when I organised by type the whole area looked untidy even though it was organised, so for me as a very visual person this works great!


There's a couple more shelves down there too, but when you know what you like, well there you are! (Moana reference anyone?) A few book are my husband's, and there are even a few university reference books we decided to keep, but for the most part its fiction, which is my favourite. I've got to say that most books I've been able to find second hand, but for kids' books I tend to buy from Amazon as they normally have 3 for £10 on books for them and for me. We tend to do at least one book per child for Christmas and birthdays.


I do like to take dust covers off hardbacks immediately as I just love the look of the actual hard backing. Anyone else?

I'm going to link to a few of my favourites for children and adults at the moment, which is actually really hard so I'll probably do a proper post on book recommendations another time!


                 

No comments:

Post a Comment